Selena Quintanilla was a singer, songwriter, businesswoman, spokesperson, model, fashion designer, and actress. She released her recording debut in the ’80s, becoming an award-winning recording artist in the Latin music scene with albums like Selena Live and Amor Prohibido. In 1995, the founder of her fan club killed her at the age of 23.
In this same year, her last album released posthumously Dreaming of You. Selena became the best-selling celebrity collection in cosmetics history posthumous collaboration with M.A.C. cosmetics. In the 1990s-decade, Billboard magazine named her the top-selling Latin artist.
Media outlets referred to her as the “Tejano Madonna” for her clothing choices. People called her the “Queen of Tejano music.” Selena is best known for being one of the most successful Latin artists of all the time.
The most successful and best-known Latin artists of all time is Selena.
Selena is the most successful and best-known Latin artists of all the time
· Birth Name: Selena Quintanilla
· Nick Name: Preciosa, La Reina de Tex-Mex, Sel, Buffy, Queen of Tejano,
- Religion: Jehovah’s Witness
- Date of Birth: April 16, 1971
- Star Sign: Aries
- Birth Place: Lake Jackson, Texas, U.S.
- NationalityRace / Ethnicity: Multiracial
Selena had Mexican-American descent on her father’s side, while she was of Cherokee Native American ancestry on her mother’s side. Selena had Mexican-American ancestry on father’s side, while was of Cherokee Native American descent on mother’s side
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
Singer, songwriter, spokesperson, fashion designer, actress.
Father – Abraham Quintanilla Jr. (Former Musician)
Mother – Marcella Ofelia Quintanilla
Siblings – Suzette Quintanilla (Older Sister) (Actress), A.B. Quintanilla III (Older Brother)
Others –Maria Tereza Calderon (Paternal Grandmother),
Abraham Gonzalez Quintanilla Sr. (Paternal Grandfather).
· Selena went to Oran M. Roberts Elementary School in Lake Jackson.
· Then, she finished 8th grade at West Oso Junior High in Corpus Christi.
· Selena received a high school diploma from the American School
of Correspondence in Chicago at seventeen.
· She selected into the Louisiana State University but chose to take up business administration as a major subject at Pacific Western University.
Selena Quintanilla Body Statistics
· Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Dark Brown
- Weight: 57 kg or 126 lbs
- Height: 165 cm or 5 ft 5 inch
- Build: Voluptuous
- Dress Size: 38 (E.U.) or 8 (U.S.)
- Bra Size: 32C
- Shoe Size: 7 (U.S.).
Personal life: (Boyfriend / Spouse)
In 1989, an author and guitarist, Chris Perez, wrote a jingle for a Coca-Cola commercial with
collaboration A.B. Quintanilla III, which Selena had to perform. They soon got in a relationship after confessing their feelings for each other at the Pizza Hut chain.
They resolved to keep it secret because being afraid that her father won’t support their relationship. Though, her sister got wind of their involvement, which led to her father. Her father ordered to over this relationship. Her father fired him from the band because they didn’t heed his order and continued to date. One morning in April 1992, her father found her outside Chris’s room.
Then she convinced Chris to elope and secretly got hitched in Nueces County. The news of their marriage drooled within hours, and eventually, her father accepted their marriage.
- Instruments: Vocals
- Genre: Tejano, pop, Mexican cumbia, R&B, mariachi, ranchera.
- Labels: Q-Productions, E.M.I. Latin, Capitol Latin, E.M.I. America Records, Universal Music Latin Entertainment
- Brand Endorsements: Selena had appeared in the T.V. commercials for
Ø Agree Shampoo
Ø Para HSN en Español
Ø Clothing line
Ø Battered women’s shelter
Ø No More Guns
Ø Southwestern Call Notes
Ø Southwestern Bell
Ø M.A.C. cosmetics
- First Album: In October 1989, she released her debut studio album, Selena. It ranked at #7 on “Regional Mexican Albums” charts.
- First TV Show: Selena appeared in 2 episodes of the telenovela Dos Mujeres, un Camino as herself in 1993.
- First Film: Selena appeared in Mariachi singer’s role debuted with the 1995 rom-com film Don Juan DeMarco.
March 31, 1995, due to Gunshot.
On April 1, public viewing of the casket would be held at the Bayfront Auditorium. Almost 3000 fans lined up for nearly a 1 mile (1.6 km). An hour before the gates opened, rumours that the circulating casket was empty, Quintanilla family prompted an open-casket viewing.
Additionally, about 30,000 to 40,000 fans passed by Selena’s coffin, and more than 78,000 signed a book of condolence. Further, flowers for the casket imported from The Netherlands. In 1995 April 3, at Seaside Memorial Park, six hundred guests, mostly family members, attended Selena’s burial.
At the request of Selena’s family, flash photography and the video was banned. But the funeral was broadcast live by a Corpus Christi and San Antonio radio station without her family’s consent.